Federal Skilled Trades

Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Federal Skilled Trades Program allows people who are qualified in a skilled trade to become permanent residents of Canada. Applications under the Federal Skilled Trades Program are managed through the Express Entry System.
Qualifying under the Federal Skilled Trades program requires that you demonstrate:
1-Minimum 2 years of work experience in a skilled trade within the past 5 years, including the following occupations:
Industrial, electrical and construction trades
Maintenance and equipment operation trades
Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
Chefs and cooks
Butchers and bakers
2-Must meet the NOC occupation requirements for that trade, except for Provincial trade certification
3-Minimum CLB 5 for speaking and listening, plus minimum CLB 4 for reading and writing
4-A valid job offer in Canada or a Canadian trade certificate
5-Funds to support your family upon arrival to Canada, unless you are presently working in Canada and received points for a valid job offer
If you meet the criteria to apply in one of the three programs, you are accepted into the Express Entry Pool and you receive a ranking score on the basis of several factors. This score is referred to as the CRS – or Comprehensive Ranking Score.
The assessment of the qualification process is different depending on the Canadian province and whether a candidate needs a certificate of qualification to work in that province or territory in a specific skilled trade and what he has to do to get a certificate. Some trades are regulated at the federal level. For example, an aeroplane mechanic is federally regulated. Below are the links to the provincial or territorial regulatory bodies:

• Alberta
• British Columbia
• Manitoba
• New Brunswick
• Newfoundland and Labrador
• Northwest Territories
• Nova Scotia
• Nunavut
• Ontario
• Prince Edward Island
• Saskatchewan
• Yukon