Post Graduate Work Permit

Post graduate work permit

Canada offers the PGWP to attract international students and encourage them to stay in Canada as immigrants. The PGWP is valid for up to three years. The PGWP is an open work permit, which allows international graduates to work for any Canadian employer without applying for a job offer.

When applying, applicants must demonstrate that they either hold a valid study permit, held a study permit, or were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

To be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, international students must have:

  • Study program must lead to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • Held full-time student status in Canada during every academic session of the program or programs of study completed and included as part of their post-graduation work permit application;
  • Received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that the applicant has met the requirements to complete their program of study;
  • The transcript and official letter must be included in a post-graduation work permit application.
  • Graduated from a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, a trade or technical school, a university and
  • Private post-secondary school (in Quebec) that operates under the same rules as public schools in Quebec; and CEGEP (in Quebec)
  • Canadian private school that can award degrees under provincial law (for example, Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree) but only if the student was enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree as authorized by the province.
  • If your program was less than 8 months, you aren’t eligible for a PGWP.
  • You have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply for a PGWP.